In line with the mission of Perio - the parent company of Barbasol and Pure Silk brands - the Barbasol Foundation was established in order to share the resources of the company with charitable causes. Supporting charitable organizations, specifically those focused upon children, is the main vision of Perio. It is our hope that this site provides everything you need to know about our charitable giving, particularly about our competitive grants application process.
Our Funding Priorities
The Barbasol Foundation considers applications from 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations. In line with Perio’s mission, the major focus of contributions will be on child-related causes. We also prioritize funding organizations operating within the county of Ashland, Ohio, the home of our manufacturing facility. Half of all our competitive grants are awarded to Ashland-nonprofits. Our priorities guide us but do not limit us. The Barbasol Foundation may also consider requests to support medical research, community food banks, homeless shelters, and other nonprofit social services as resources are available.
We Do Not Fund
The Barbasol Foundation does not fund the following:
- Individuals seeking personal support
- Organizations that discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, religion, national origin, or disability with respect to employment, volunteer participation, or the provision of services
- Churches and religious or sectarian organizations; however, a community program sponsored by a religious organization will be considered (e.g. food pantry).
- Sports teams seeking sponsorship
- Schools requesting funds for extracurricular activities. However, programs specifically related to the support of disadvantaged children or higher education scholarships will be considered.
- Political candidates and political campaigns
- Entities that are not 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations
- Organizations conducting fundraising on behalf of nonprofit agencies
Apply for a Grant
Thank you for your interest in applying for a Barbasol Foundation competitive grant. Before taking time to apply, please read the funding priorities of each of our grant programs as well as our mission and vision in order to determine whether your organization is a good fit with the Barbasol Foundation’s priorities.
Each year, the Barbasol Foundation makes five general grants of up to $10,000 to charitable organizations operating within the greater-Columbus area.
- Programs that provide food, shelter, clothing, health care, education and counseling to disadvantaged children and teens are given priority consideration.
- We may also consider requests to support community food banks, homeless shelters, and other nonprofit social services as resources are available.
The Barbasol Foundation also annually makes five grants of up to $10,000 to charitable organizations operating within the county of Ashland, Ohio. As the home of our manufacturing facility, Ashland is a community to which we are closely tied and eager to support.
- The major focus of the Ashland Giving Program will be on causes that work for the betterment of the community of Ashland. This includes programs that provide food, shelter, clothing, health care, education and counseling to Ashland residents.
- Programs that benefit the greatest spectrum and largest magnitude of residents within Ashland will be prioritized. We believe that programs benefit the community through offering both service for disadvantaged individuals (providing food, shelter, clothing, etc.) and opportunities for involvement of the community at large (offering jobs, opportunities for volunteerism, and a space for voices to be heard).
- The Barbasol Foundation also prioritizes funding programs that work for systemic change for community gain. For example, nonprofits that both provide food for the hungry and also address the question of why individuals are going hungry in the first place will be strongly considered.
Click here to download a copy of the Barbasol Foundation’s grant application (both Columbus-area and Ashland grants use the same application). E-Mail completed applications to BarbasolFoundation@columbusfoundation.org according to the following calendar:
Notification of Grantees
Columbus Grants Program
Ashland Grants Program
Please note: Requests faxed, mailed or emailed to Perio will not be considered. Please do not phone for status of your request.
We ask all organizations awarded a Barbasol Foundation grant to adhere to our publicity guidelines. The Barbasol Foundation requests that you:
- Include news of your grant in any publications or digital media you produce for internal or external audiences, such as newsletters, brochures, annual reports, lists of supporters, board minutes, or e-Newsletters, website, and social media.
- Include the Barbasol Foundation’s logo on brochures, digital media, signs, or plaques that recognize funders at events or on facilities.
The Barbasol Foundation works closely with the Cleveland Foodbank to donate product to more than 650 programs that serve the needy in Northeast Ohio. This partnership enables us at the Barbasol Foundation to streamline and maximize our giving potential by eliminating freight costs (the Cleveland Foodbank picks up cases of product from our manufacturing facility) and by targeting local communities in the counties of Ashland, Ashtabula, Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake and Richland. By primarily giving back to the counties closest to our manufacturing facility, the Barbasol Foundation advances its commitment to supporting the communities that sustain our company. It is a commitment that we take seriously - this past year we donated over 5,000 cases of shave cream to the Cleveland Foodbank!
Frequently Asked Questions
My organization is seeking sponsorship or participation in our annual golf tournament that raises money for local charities. Would the Barbasol Foundation be interested in either of these opportunities for charitable giving?
Due to the high volume of inquiries that we receive in regards to charitable giving, we have streamlined our donation policy so that the only unsolicited requests we consider are applications for our competitive grants. If there is a way that your organization can make their request via applying for one of our competitive grants (keeping our funding priorities in mind), we would be interested in considering it as a form of charitable giving.
I notice that The Barbasol Foundation is affiliated with The Columbus Foundation. Can you explain your connection?
The Columbus Foundation is a community foundation that assists donors - including the Barbasol Foundation - by managing assets, administering grants, and following the ins and outs of the local nonprofit community. The Barbasol Foundation works with the Columbus Foundation in order to most effectively manage our charitable giving.
The Barbasol Foundation makes grants up to $10,000. What would keep my organization from receiving the maximum donation?
With an eye towards the charitable goals and mission statement of our parent company, the Barbasol Foundation consciously seeks the place where our resources meet the community’s greatest needs. Recognizing that no two applications are the same, we assess each proposal with careful attention paid to proposed budgets and our foreseeable financial impact.
Do you accept applications for your competitive grants outside of the submission period?
Unfortunately, the Barbasol Foundation does not accept applications outside of the designated application period. We encourage early applicants to hold their applications until the submission process begins, and we hope that late applicants will consider applying during the next year’s grant cycle.
I run a homeless shelter outside the parameters of the Cleveland Foodbank’s network of giving. We would greatly benefit from donated cases of Barbasol Shave Cream and are wondering if you could make a product donation to our organization?
We at the Barbasol Foundation wish we could donate product to every inquiring charitable organization because we admire your good work and would love to be a part of it. However, we recognize that we can maximize our giving potential by making large donations to a single organization and letting them work out the details of distribution to smaller organizations. That way, we do what we do best (make shaving cream) and let them do what they do best (facilitate the stocking of hundreds of food pantries and homeless shelters throughout northeast Ohio).
How often can I apply for a Barbasol Foundation competitive grant?
We accept and review applications for each grant program once per calendar year, and we do not limit the number of times an organization can apply.